Saturday, April 26, 2014

Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan (Flo & Eddie) "The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie" 1972

Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan (aka Flo and Eddie) are easily two of the most underrated talents in rock history.  Everybody knows these guys voices, but very few people know who they are.  As the leaders of the Turtles, they turned out satirical laughs, several amazingly idiosyncratic albums, and some of the best singles of the 60’s.  After getting royally screwed by their record company, White Whale, they worked with Frank Zappa on some of his most humorous work.  Some of it was totally over the line, and really irritated/offended a lot of Turtles and Zappa fans.  All of it however was performed with stunning musical prowess and over the top showmanship.  After Frank Zappa was hospitalized, by a deranged fan who pushed him off stage, Howard and Mark set out on their own using most of Frank’s band as backing musicians.  “The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie” was the result.
       Listen very carefully as the banjo on this album begins and you can hear someone quietly say, “Pete Townsend” for some reason.  As the song begins and the boys introduce themselves, a choir (literally) of vocals says “We hope you’re ready for Flo and Eddie.”  And boy you better be because this is not your regular run of the mill album.
              Mark starts off “Thoughts Have Turned” with some raunchy clean guitar and takes the lead vocal.  The beat is driven hard by Aynsley Dunbar, who plays dynamically in a sort of more focused Keith Moon fashion.  The vocals weave in and out with falsetto that is as light as a cotton ball.  Mark sings that his thoughts have “turned to love” for a girl who is able to “share herself with everyone.”  Poor Mark. 
                When I first heard this album, the song that stuck out to me most was “Feel Older Now.”  If the falsetto in “Thoughts Have Turned” as light as a cotton ball, then here it’s sharper than a straight razor.  Part of me feels like they are making fun of bands like Led Zeppelin (Immigrant Song) here, but they do it with straight faces.  This is actually an epic song with angry creaked out vocals, subtly nasty lyrics (“I’m hard on you”), and a chorus that burns with rocket-like fury. 
                Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to walk into a party in the year 1972.  As I picture it, “I’ve Been Born Again” would be playing with its scant two chords and high-hat sizzle.  This may be the best song on the album, and it is easy to get wrapped up in this one.  Everything in this song is a hook.  The trumpet and repetitious vocals just go on and on.  Things never get boring though.  Vocals harmonize and fade in and out.  It is not a song that really builds.  It is a song that holds steady.  I would rate its intensity a 7 from start to finish.  Tell me you don’t want to walk into a party that is cookin’ at a seven when you walk in.  My wife absolutely loves this song.  Her face lights up when I play it.  She even asked for a CD copy of my vinyl copy which I gladly gave her.  Now, she plays this song for me in the car.   
            My son on the other hand really likes “Nikki Hoi.”  Either that or he likes how weird my wife and I act while it is playing.  This is a song that would have fit nicely on the Turtles record “Battle of the Bands” (where the Turtles pretend to be a different band for every song).  Mark and Howard were always great at making convincing sounding genre exercises.  They always found a way to make them their own though.  For example, the little bubbling sounds they add on the song would never be on a real “Hawaiian” song, but are a silly (and surprisingly fitting) addition.  Also catch some of the classic Flo & Eddie humor at the end with one of them saying “Aloha, Joe” in a female voice to an American G.I.  In addition to their talent, these guys are silly.  
Tones:  Jim Pons sings and plays bass on this record.  He was also in the Turtles, and followed Flo & Eddie for several Zappa records.  His voice is extremely low and I love that it is featured here.  It really gives a bit of continuity which flows from Turtles to Zappa to Flo & Eddie.  You can hear his low “Ooh Ahh, Ooh Ahh” at the end of “Goodbye Surprise.”   Don Preston adds some great keyboard parts to this record as well.  Check out his piano rolls on “Why It Never Happened.”

Cover Note:  Wow!  Look at these guys!  Mark’s yellow shirt is incredible!  And have you ever seen a more perfect set of chompers?  I want to hang out with these guys so badly.  Howard was always a touch chubby when he was in the Turtles, but here he is super thin and has a head of mostly grey hair.  Seriously, what is he, 31?  His duck shirt is amazing too.  I could frame this record on my wall and smile every time I look at it.  Looking at it really makes me happy.

Price paid:  I had to order this off of Ebay.  It was about $11.00.  I have seen a few of their later records in the bins I dig through, but never this one.  If you find it, snatch it up because you won’t see it again.

Bottom Line:  This is a great record for music weirdos and family men.  It’s quirky, but not offensive.  It’s silly, but not hokey.  It’s musical, but not heady.  This album lies in the middle ground between the Turtles’ poppyness and Zappa’s musicality.  If you like the Turtles, there is enough of their sound to keep you happy.  The same is true if you are a Zappa fan.  I hope you’re ready, for Flo &  Eddie. 

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were so talented and their voices were so magical. It's a brilliant record. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete