Saturday, May 17, 2014

Richard Hayman And His Orchestra "Voodoo!" 1959

 
I was talking to my wife about Exotica records the other day, and we both agreed that there are a lot that sound quite similar to each other.  Because we both really like that sound, this is a good thing.  It’s really nice to know that when you pop on a Martin Denny or Arthur Lyman record, you are going to be taken to a place that is exotic, but after a while, familiar.  One thing I have noticed about Exotica records though is that most artists are not afraid to play a little with the formula and try to have at least one or two songs that are off the beaten path (to use an exotic sounding phrase.) 
                “Voodoo!” by Richard Hayman  is no exception.  At this point in my Exotica listening career, I should know what a “voodoo” song sounds like, but when I put on the first side of the record and hear “Danse Calinda,” I don’t get that vibe at all.  This sounds like a jaunty Mambo number if I ever heard one.  It is great for lots of reasons.  It makes me want to move my hips and find out what the lead instrument is.  It sounds like a giant kazoo to me.  When I think of voodoo, wiggling my hips and giant kazoos are not what should come to mind.  With that being said, it’s a fine opener to the album. 
“Mamba” and “Voodoo” are a little closer to what I would expect from an album title “Voodoo!”  Both feature the gut thundering drums that are all over this record.  “Mamba” also makes wonderful use of some ear splitting flutes/piccolos and squawking trombones.  You really get a Les Baxter movie soundtrack vibe from “Voodoo.”  It makes me feel like the characters are struggling with, or mystified by something.  Most people would need context for this type of music.  Without the “movie,” your average listener might just find himself struggling with, or mystified by this song itself. 
There are some songs on here that have more of a traditional Exotica sound to them.  “Spell of Deatra” comes to mind first.  This one is more Middle Eastern and creates some beautiful textures with octave piano notes mixed with strings.  “Gris-Gris” is one of the slower (but not relaxing) paced songs on the record, and “Afro” has a similar feel to Dave Brubeck’s “Take 5.”  It’s not in 5/4 time, but it does sound like a jungle version of that song.   
As I mentioned earlier, there is usually a song on Exotica records that seems to take a chance.  Arthur Lyman used to end his records with something that was totally off the wall compared to the songs that preceded it.  “Incantation” is that song here.  Staring down at the grooves of the records, I can see that it is about twice the length of any of the other songs.  It starts with a percussive groove that slowly ads tambourine, maracas, and toms.  After just under a minute, a “savage” starts to yell in some faux language.  Really, it sounds like a bunch of gibberish.  He does sing a few bent notes that are fairly interesting though.  After a huge gong explodes, a call and response ensues between the “savage” and the large group.  This conversation goes nowhere.  By that I mean the people he shouts at become less and less excited, and actually seem a little disappointed by the end.  It’s kind of weird.  The drums come back and the song and gibberish finish up.  This song sticks out like a recalcitrant hair on a finely combed pompadour (maybe Richard Hayman's?).  As a lover of Exotica, these songs are interesting to me for both sonic and cultural reasons.  However, this song is very much of its time, and I could see someone getting offended hearing this in the wrong context. 
Tones:  This is an orchestra record, and to me the horns play a very important role.  They have a thick pasty quality to them in places, especially on “Midnight Ritual.”  There is only a little guitar on this record, but it is very noticeable on “Conjuration.”  It is light, plucky, and sounds like someone getting hit continually with a pea shooter. 

Cover Note:  This looks more like a picture of a moon walk than anything having to do with Voodoo.  It’s more like a Voodoo cheerleader doll  that is filled with glee that it has found its way to lunar paradise.  The back however has one of the best pictures of an orchestra leader I have ever seen.  Richard Hayman, complete with horn rimmed glasses, shiny slicked back hair, and two inch dimples, has the biggest,  warmest smile I have ever seen.  This is the guy I want to meet at a party.  This is the cool kid I want to sit with at lunch. 
Price paid:  I had read good things about this record, so I forked over $7.00 for a very clean copy.  If you are heavily into Exotica then I think a few bucks more would be perfectly reasonable. 

Bottom line:  I wouldn't say this is a must have record, but it is a very good record.  This kind of record will plant you firmly into “Exotic nerd” territory, or “Weirdo music” land.  It is tough for me to think of a good context to play this for someone.  For me it is one that is best enjoyed with headphones.     



No comments:

Post a Comment