Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Edmon De Luca's "Safari" (1958)

            This is Symphonic Exotica at its best.  I’m putting this up there with Les Baxter.  Right from the get go, this record is so epic.  This is not your easy listening, Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman Exotica.  This is a full-fledged orchestra with all the trimmings.  The overall concept is pretty cool too, at least for the first side.  There are six tracks each coinciding with some part of a safari.  You really can pop on a pair of good ole headphones and be transported straight to Africa. 
            “Port Pangani” is very ominous and really quite heavy.  The melody is a far cry from easy listening.   But what it lacks in pleasantness, it makes up for in bravado.  There are so many instruments as well, like lots of stings, and horns, as well as marimbas and other thumping percussion.  I really get the feeling I am looking out on some African land I’m about to explore.
            “The Trek” has more of a typical cocktail/lounge feel to it, but the sheer amount of guys playing on the track really expands the scope.  It’s just big.  Everything on this album is big.  This one is really nice and relaxing, but still has some weird sounding stuff.  It’s the kind of song you play someone because it’s the most normal track you think they would enjoy.  It’s only when you listen to it with someone else that you realize there is some weird stuff going on. This is about how far my wife gets in the album.  Then I know it’s time to turn it off.  Here’s why.
            “The Chase and the Kill” is bone chilling if you actually picture what the music does such a good job evoking.  This was made in the days when killing “Big Game” was more accepted and perhaps more legal.  I always assumed it was an elephant they killed because of all the horns blaring.  Anyway, my wife hates it and I understand why.  There is a big shot when they shoot the “The Beast,” and you can hear it hit the ground.  It’s shocking, and loud, and upsetting, but totally freakin’ awesome!  I certainly don’t condone killing elephants, but nobody got bad karma from writing a song about it.  Right?  It’s just darn exciting, and as a piece of art, it’s thrilling.  Great music is not always supposed to make you feel all warm and fuzzy.  It’s supposed to make you feel something deep.  This does that very well. 
            I think it goes without saying that I would not play this for my 1 year old boy, although he did hear it the first time I played it myself.  Somehow, I wasn't expecting it to all be so intense. 
           The second side has two extended pieces that are not written by De Luca.  They fit in with the feel of the first side, but are not as cool.  There is nothing wrong with them, but it’s almost like another album.  I sort of consider this record to be an E.P. with two extra tracks.  The second side is cool though and I don’t want to undersell it.  I like it. 

Tones:  I can’t think of what they did to make the sound of that gun blast when the elephant is killed, but that makes it more fun for me.  It’s almost like they recorded a crack of thunder, but I doubt they did.  There are also a lot of wordless vocals and chanting on here.  I’d bet over 50 dudes must be singing at the same time.  It’s thick. 

Cover Note:  When I saw this cover, I swear my heart skipped a beat.  It’s the kind of record you pull out just to show people the artwork.  It’s also super pink.  I have no other record with that much pink on it.  That includes Rock and Pop.  It’s a thrilling and perfect representation of the music inside.  Someone should get a tattoo of this. 

Price Paid:  $2.00 at the Central Florida Fairground record show.  I had $20.00 to spend, and I used most of it up on one vendor.  I also found a cool Esquivel record that day and saw an old friend who had recently grown a very large and unexpected beard.  It was a perfect morning. 


Bottom line:  Don’t scare your family with this, but get it if it’s in the $5-$7 range.  It’s high quality work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment