Saturday, December 21, 2013

Walter Wanderley "Kee-Ka-Roo" (1967)

                There was a time when I only worked 4 days a week.  Granted, they were 10 hour days, but Monday –Thursday was my work week.  My wife was also working as a nanny and she had Fridays off as well.  Each Thursday night was the end of our actual work week and most of our friends still had to plow through Friday, so my wife and I would enjoy what we dubbed “Secret Friday.”  This primarily involved whiskey sours on the back porch and lots of records.  The three records I remember us listening to the most were “Di Doo Dah” by Jane Birkin, “Histoire De Melody Nelson” by Serge Gainsbourg, and “Kee-Ka-Roo” by Walter Wanderley.  I can’t put on any of these without remembering our “Secret Fridays.” 
                Normally, we would get our drinks together during the first two songs.  “Amazonas” kicks off side one with a low wandering flute and Walter playing the organ in his “Bop Bop ba ba Bop Bop” style.  I have heard a lot of great organ players, but Walter is just so darn sure of himself.  Nothing crazy, nothing out there, just satisfying, like a good handshake.  His playing is delightful, it’s laid back, and it’s deceptively simple.  You forget very quickly that this is very complex music, both harmonically and rhythmically. Some may find this type if organ music a little cheesy, but I highly encourage you to give it a listen with fresh ears.  This is top notch Bossa Nova.
                By the time we made it to the back porch and sat down, our favorite song would start.  “Canto De Ossanah” begins with piano, organ and a donkey jawbone.  Like a heart bursting with love, this song pumps for a full minute before letting loose on the main theme, but it’s the transition that is so exciting.  It’s like the curtain gets pulled back and you realize you’re alive again.  I’m not being dramatic about this.  This song is really that good.  It will let you forget about your garbage week and help you remember that you have a lot of good things in your life to enjoy.  This is why we listen to music, these types of songs.
   
            After this song, it’s just like coasting down a mountain.  I have always been a fan of songs that move quickly, but are still quiet.  Walter does this style so well.  “Sambao” is a nice example of this.  Listen to the drums.  It takes years to master this kind of stuff.  It also has some cool background vocals that are not really sung, or spoken, but more whispered.  It goes “Ahhhhh,” with a heavy emphasis on the “H” sounds.    
                 I briefly have to mention the song “Wait until Dark.”  It is the only vocal on the record and it is pretty darn hokey to me.  The music is nice, but the lady singing, Marge Dodson, sounds like a cocktail singer, and not in a good way.  It’s bad, but it’s entertainingly bad, so I always just smile and give it a pass.
                
Tones:  Walter’s organ tones are soft, percussive, and almost bell like.  Nothing ever cuts.  It’s easy to forget he’s playing with two hands and two feet as well.  Although he is know primarily as an organ player, he also uses an electric piano on “Sensuous.”  What a warm and inviting sound he gets out of that thing.   

Price Paid:  $3.00 at an antique store that has a ton of records, however many are hit or miss.  Over the past few years they have steadily raised their prices from $3.00 to $5.00 to $7.00.  I told my buddy Dave (who has a very different record collection than mine, but is excellent just the same) about this and he said “For $7.00 I want them clean and alphabetized.”  I think that is very fair. 

Cover Note.  This one has a great colorful painting that wraps around all the way to the back.  There are flowers and birds and peppers and I think a dog.  It’s wonderful. 

Bottom Line:  I do a see a lot of Walter Wanderley as I shop, but this one does not pop up too often.  Knowing how much I like it, I would probably pay up to $7.00 if I needed to replace it.  More people should know about how good Walter's music is, so if you see any of his other stuff, go ahead and pick it up, especially if it’s on the cheap.  Buy it and have your own “Secret Friday.” 





No comments:

Post a Comment