Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Dusty Springfield "Dusty in Memphis" (1969)

                I have been listening to “Dusty in Memphis” for a long time.  My dad may have been the first person to tell me to listen to her, but I’m not sure.  I remember hearing her singles a lot, but this is the first full album I purchased of hers.  It is definitely a classic, and one of my favorites, but I don’t really hear a lot of people talk about it, except for “Son of a Preacher Man.”  There is not a bad song on here, which is understandable because most are written by either Gerry Goffin and Carol King; Burt Bacharach and Hal David; or Randy Newman. 
                The Randy Newman songs are the most quirky of the bunch.  “Just One Smile” starts off with some picked and then strummed nylon string guitar that is very pleasant.  Dusty’s delivery on this song is wonderful, especially considering the subject matter.  I find the idea of a person begging their lover for “just one smile” so they can have “a little dream to build my world upon” to be an interesting perspective.  It’s the dream of love that they are feeling, not anything real.  The same concept is explored by The Turtles in “Happy Together.”  It’s easy to forget (especially with that wonderfully classic Turtle’s chorus) that the first words to the song are “Imagine me and you…”  Randy Newman also throws in some great chord changes that really make the transition from verse to chorus very dramatic.
                “The Windmills of your Mind” is also great.  I took a trip to Chicago with my buddies Telly and Chris when I was about 24.  We were lucky enough to fine a very cool jazz club one night.  The two songs the band played that left the greatest impression that night were  “Birdland” and “The Windmills of Your Mind.”  I actually went over and talked to the drummer that night and told him how impressed I was that they threw that song in.  I had never heard it live before that night, and I have not since.  It was awesome to connect with someone over such an obscure song.  I don’t know why it stuck with me so much, but it was a defining moment on an already great trip. 
                “Just a Little Lovin’” is also a pretty great way to start to the record.  There is a sly sexuality to this song that I have always enjoyed.  And ain’t it the truth?  Wouldn’t the world a be all the better if we all had a little lovin’ early in the morning.  I feel like this song reflects some of the hippie pathos of 1969 without being in your face about it.  I also like that she sings “when the world is yawnin’.”  It makes the world sound sleepy, not her.  This is an important element to the song.   
                Over the years, my relationship to this album has changed a lot.  With its smooth melancholy strings and subdued rhythm section, it actually makes a very nice sounding Christmas record.  For going on 7 years, my wife and I have made it a tradition to listen to “Dusty in Memphis” while we decorate our Christmas tree.  I highly recommend you give this record a spin in this context.  It’s very pleasant and satisfying. 

Tones:  Dusty’s voice is powerful and hazy at the same time.  When she hits the big notes in “Don’t Forget About Me” you really see what a talent she is.  She can whisper and she can belt.  She also sounds like a cigarette smoker, which I’m sorry folks, is incredibly cool.  Maybe not in the long run, but defiantly in an ephemeral way.  Also, check out the tiny touch of reverb on Dusty’s voice.  It’s perfect: anymore and you would lose presence, and any less you would dry up and float away.  There are also softly spoken Motown style background vocals on “I Don’t Want to Hear It” that are not done by Dusty.  They actually put off a really cool attitude that contrasts nicely with Dusty’s delivery. 

Price Paid:  This was an Ebay purchase and was bundled with a “Best of the Supreme’s” record for some reason.  I don’t remember paying more than $15.00 for both.  Dusty’s record is definitely the rarer of the two. 

Cover Note:  Dusty stares directly into you with those penetrating, smoky eyes.  When I was a younger man, I found it hard not to stare back.  I really wanted to hear this record.  It just looks like a record that’s always been in your collection.  Her dress is also ornate in a way that you would never see nowadays.  I have always been intrigued by those fingernails too.  No woman I ever met had ‘em shaped like that. 

Bottom Line:  It’s a wonderful record without a bad song.  This is the place to start with if you want to get into Dusty Springfield.  It’s not a rare record, but it did not sell as well as expected, and sellers know it is a classic.  $10-$12 is fair.  There is also a re-mastered CD version that is great.  It includes a massive 14 extra bonus tracks.  The original album only had 11 songs to start.  That’s a steal.

No comments:

Post a Comment