Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Cyrkle "Neon" 1967

                Sometimes it’s the minor groups that really get to you.  When a group flies slightly under the radar, it has the opportunity to behave with less pretension and more sincerity, less pomp and more honesty.  To me, The Cyrkle falls into this category.  The group is best known for its lovely hits “Red Rubber Ball” and “Turn Down Day.”  Both of these were offered up on their first record though.  It was only as a follow up to their modest success that we get the lovely “Neon.”  I love The Cyrkle, but I am not going to say they are the most underrated band of the 60’s or anything like that.  What I will say is that they are very talented and pleasing to the ear.  They also have flashes of brilliance that make this well worth having in your collection.    
                The opening number, with the lengthy name “Don’t Cry, No Tears, No Fears Comin’ Your Way,” starts with some interesting guitar sounds.  There is very little attack on the front end of these chords.  Think of it like this: Imagine I said the word “Bang.”  Now picture me saying it with as little emphasis on the “B” sound as possible.  The “ang” sound then rises up and rings out, leaving you with a gong like impression.  The song then vacillates between mantra like verses and chipper choruses.  We also get not one, but two modulations at the ending fade. 
                “Please Don’t Ever Leave Me” has the boys singing to a typical late 60’s arrangement.  The harpsichord and oboe are very nice, but it is the sincere vocals that make the song so enjoyable.  There is nothing particularly special about the song.  It’s just a nice melody sung by some nice voices.  I always liked the sound of Don Dannemann’s (the lead singer) voice.  Some people sing like a violin, with notes sliding all over the place.  Don sings like a piano: clean, unwavering, and solid.  It’s hard for me to picture him singing out of tune.  Don also sings lead on, what I consider to be, the stand out track on the record. 
                “I Wish You Could Be Here” really tugs at my heart.  Don’s lead vocal is performed at about the level of a quiet phone call.  Picture a time in your life when you said “I wish you could be here.” to someone over the phone.  Remember that feeling as you listen to this song.  Sometimes the circumstances of life keep us apart, and what are we to do?  Here are a few of the lyrics:

Sundays in this town, there’s not a lot for me to do.
I’ve been listening to some records, but my thoughts have turned to you. 
I try to read the paper, but the words aren’t very clear,
And I know there’s something missing.
I wish you could be here. 

                There is a gentle melancholy to this song that I just love.  Sad songs have a tendency to pull me down into whatever hole the the artist is wallowing in, but this one is different.  I don’t know why it’s so touching, but something about it really resonates with me.  After listening to it multiple times, I looked on the back cover and found out that Paul Simon (who also wrote “Red Rubber Ball”) was a co-writer.  I guess that makes sense why it is so good.  My wife also noticed some moaning percussion in the back ground that I have not been able to positively identify.  The sound feels just like that aching in your gut when you really miss someone. 
                There are also a couple of well placed covers on the record.  “It Doesn’t Matter Anymore,” written by Bacharach and David, features a complex melody.  It’s the kind of melody that is dissonant, but doesn’t feel dissonant.  Similarly, the Beatles cover, “I’m Happy Just to Dance With You,” has some funky chord changes that diverge from the original.  It’s not something that totally messes with the song, but it does alter it enough to make it interesting.  The drummer also performs some nice patterns that help soften some of the harder melodic changes. 
                The only song that feels out of place is “Problem Child.”  Everything about it feels too harsh and over the top.  I am sure it was supposed to be tongue in cheek, but it messes with the overall tone of the album.  It feels like it would be more at home on a Lovin’ Spoonful or Monkees record.  I have heard plenty of other records that have this same problem, so it’s not anything particular to The Cyrkle.  Heck, even most Beach Boys records had a weird honker like this on them. 
Tones:  There are some very simple sitar parts spread out across the album.  I imagine that producers in 1968 told bands, “You are required to feature sitar, harpsichord, mellotron, or fuzz guitar on this record.  I suggest all of them.”  Actually these touches are very nice.  I especially like the muffled tone on the rudimentary piano solo on “Our Love Affair’s in Question”

Cover Note:  I have always associated neon colors with the late 80’s and early 90’s, so it’s interesting to see it in a 60’s context.  The cover is actually a little boring, especially when compared to other covers released in 1967.  It is just the four band members stoically staring at the camera with two neon circles around them.  80% of the cover is black.  Oh well, they can’t all be gems. 

Price paid:  I paid about $12.00 for this at a local shop.  This particular shop is usually pretty over priced in general, but they do have a massive collection.  I bought it early in my record collecting career, when I was more impulsive.  I am not sure if it’s original or not, but it was in great condition.  Years later, I also bought a copy for my sister that was under $5.00.  Sundazed Records has also reissued both this and the first Cyrkle album.  I highly recommend anything Sundazed presses.  Their attention to detail is unsurpassed. 

Bottom Line:  This is the kind of record you pull out and listen to once every few years.  I am never disappointed with it when I do.  If you already have a large collection of 60’s pop, then you will find a lot to like here.  My wife found it to be pleasant and said she liked a few of the songs.  Given her ambivalence towards soft psych, I consider that a win.  $5.00-$6.00 is a fine price to pay.  

4 comments:

  1. I really like The Cyrkle songs that I have heard through the years. I would like to listen to this album based on what you have written. P.S. What is a Cyrkle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My assumption is the "Cyrkle" is a weird spelling of "Circle." It has always been popular to spell the name of your band in a strange way. Some are examples of this are names like The Beatles, The Byrds, Led Zeppelin and XTC. If you want to listen for free, The Cyrkle has a "Best of" available on Spotify that has several of the songs referenced in this review. I am glad the write up got you interested in the band. They are great.

      Delete
  2. Hi - just got caught up on this one, and again, you seem to have hit the nail on the head with your review. When I was listening to "I Wish You Could be Here" I was thinking about how much the harmonies sounded like Simon & Garfunkel & then I read your take on the song. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, BigBo! They certainly owe a lot to S&G, but they still have a sound of their own.

      Delete