Saturday, March 8, 2014

Michael Nesmith & The First National Band "Magnetic South" 1970

           
  I like the Monkees as much as the next guy, but I am crazy about Mike Nesmith.  Every album he released is good, and most of them are great.  When I talk to people about country rock, Gram Parsons inevitably comes up.  I in no way want to negate the contribution (which is vast) that Gram made to country rock, but Mike Nesmith created an entirely different strain, that is in many ways far more appealing.  I know.  I know.  I have already upset you.  Please just hear me out. 
                Mike’s solo career technically started before he joined the Monkees, but it wasn’t until after the Monkees broke up that he got his footing.  His first solo album was an instrumental album that is quite good, but lacks his wonderful singing.  “Magnetic South” is his first proper record with the First National Band.  Everything on this album feels fresh and brings together the best aspects of 60’s pop and country music.  A better name for the genre would be 60’s country pop.  There is a fresh bounciness to the rhythms that melds cleanly with the wonderful gliding steel guitar playing of Red Rhodes.   
        
      “Calico Girlfriend” starts the album off with a bang.  To me, this is the quintessential Nesmith song, and the one I would pick if I could only play one of his tunes for somebody.  Mike’s deep, warm, double-tracked vocal sits atop a swift choppy snare and a steel guitar which arpeggiates some wonderful chords.  I have always been perplexed and intrigued by the slight volume drop at the 1:20 mark.  It feels like someone is talking to you, and then suddenly puts a blanket over their head before finishing their sentence.  It is a strange and wonderful feeling that sets the listener up perfectly for one of the most exciting moments on the record; the double-tracked octave steel guitar solo leaves me with a smile every time I hear it.  It feels like a rush of birds being set free at a wedding or other joyous occasion.   
                My wife was the one to point out that Mike not only sings on “Nine Times Blue,” but whispers the lines as well.  I gave this record to her, and it ended up staying in her car for weeks.  We seriously had a period in our lives when we pretty much only listened to Mike Nesmith for a while.  The drive time of many a surf trip was spent listening to this and it’s follow up “Loose Salute.”  It’s so wonderful when you find a record that you and your loved ones can enjoy together.  Mike Nesmith certainly brought us a lot of joy. 
                     “Little Red Rider” makes use of some interesting rhythm patterns that really aren’t very country at all.  There're actually pretty funky.  The bass also plays a catchy melody that lies back lazily.  Check out how the steel guitar plays a plucky palm muted figure in the background.  Until you hear the strange altered chord it plays on top of the groove, it sounds like something a regular guitar would play.  The last three chords of the song are pretty thick too.  They make me feel a like I have cough syrup head.     
                “Joanne” was the hit on the album, but has never been my favorite.  It does feature the famous major to minor chord change that Nesmith never stopped using.  If you are not a music person, listen to the chord change at 0:50.  The gentle softening of the sound is obtained by changing only one note in the chord.  If you think of chords like colors, changing from C to F to G would be like changing from Green to Blue to Red.  Changing from F to F minor (like Mike does right here) would be like changing from light Blue to dark Blue.  He does this at least once on every record he has made. 
                Other highlights on the record include my wife’s favorite “Mama Nantucket.”  This is the fastest and most rockin’ song on here. They lyrics are cryptic and it’s fun to try and figure out what the heck he is talking about. 

Oh, Bobby with a dollar,
He was sure he found the answer
But it might take a little time

Playing follow the leader
He was sure would be a winner
But I had other things on my mind

What?  It’s just weird and awesome.  I guess you could say the chorus is yodeled, but it’s not overt or in your face.  It sounds quite nice to me. 

                The closing track, “Beyond the Blue Horizon,” is probably the most psychedelic of the lot, but more so in planning than in tone.  It starts off with acoustic guitar, steel guitar, and farm sounds.  Mike teases the melody by singing very softly.  As the song builds, the organ and bass drum become more prominent.  It feels like you are drive up a mountain that the sun is about to pop over.  The song peaks with some thrilling singing by Mike.  After that, he lets you enjoy your sunny drive down the mountain as the song fades.  Listen as each instrument fades out one by one.   

Tones:  One of the most fun parts to this record is Red Rhodes’s steel guitar.  He seems to be from the Speedy West school of playing (as in, let’s make the steel guitar fun and exciting).  His tones are bright and shimmery, but it’s his ideas that are so fun.  In the fantastically short “First National Rag,” he creates a sound at the end that feels like a fountain bursting for the first time.  It’s explosively jubilant.  Mike’s guitar also has a wonderfully dry sound.  He was a big fan of Jimmy Rogers, so I am assuming that was what he was going for.

Cover Note:  I love embroidery in general, and this is no exception.  The cover pretty much sums up every adjective about the music inside: American, detailed, creative, and warm.  I also love the calming blue.

Price paid:  I seem to remember playing $8.00-$10.00 for this one.  Mine has a couple of skips on it, but is pretty clean otherwise.  I seldom see if for less than $15.00 (don’t pay more than that), and it is never in a bargain bin.  I got mine at a record show. 


Bottom line:  Like I said, my wife and I love Mike Nesmith.  I do feel like I have given this to a lot of people and told them how amazing the record is.  Funny thing is, I have never gotten amazing feedback from people on it.  Maybe it’s too country for my friends who like 60’s pop, and too pop for my friends who are into more country stuff.  I have actually stopped suggesting it to people as a result.  That is fine with me though.  I am just going to hang out with my wife and son, and keep this little lost classic in the family.    



5 comments:

  1. It is, indeed, a marvelous album to really launch his post-Monkees career. I remember being very excited as a 12-year-old hearing "Joanne" on the radio & learning that Nez was recording new material, and I remember playing this album hundreds of times after getting it for Christmas. To this day (and I have owned more than 8000 albums since) it is still one of my favorite discs. Thanks for your fine reminiscences and commentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I share your excitement as well. It really is a special record that I always return to. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Big-time Monkee fan from the 60's and evolved into a Nezhead quickly. I have all of Michael Nesmith's LPs and CDs, He is a sincerely musician and composer (among other skills) and creates from his heart and soul as he isn't after the spotlight (sort of been there done that) so he has nothing to prove. His work comes from his heart and mind and soul and I just love almost everything he's done. Ok, gushy, but honest. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn’t really thought about how Mike could create music without craving the spotlight. That is a great insight. I am sure that freed him up to do exactly what he wanted. I agree that his music comes from the heart. It has had a great effect on me and my family, so it’s OK to gush. Mike is the man. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. nao tem link nessa porra idiota

    ReplyDelete